From 1st June 2017 the following rules apply to the carriage of fuel and/or gas on Stewart Island Ferry.
- 4 x 20 litre certified fuel containers (80 litre maximum, petrol or diesel)
- 5 x 9 kg gas bottles (50 kg maximum, flammable gas incl. LPG)
As per the Dangerous Goods Act, if any flammable gas is carried, the maximum fuel allowance is reduced to 50 litres. Empty containers are treated the same as full containers, so all containers need to be booked.
- All fuel and gas must be pre-booked and pre-paid. Price is $5 per full container. Please book direct at the Bluff Visitor Terminal.
- All fuel must be accompanied by a ferry passenger. No fuel will be transported unaccompanied.
- There are no storage facilities at either Bluff of Oban for dangerous goods.
NO FUEL OR GAS IS TO BE CARRIED IN FREIGHT BINS.
Two bags per person, both will be stored in freight bins plus one small bag ie handbag size,
which can be taken in the cabin.
Equivalent of two bags or five banana boxes.
Hunting and tramping parties.
The above limits apply to hunting and tramping groups. These limits include the carriage of fuel and inflammable gas. Hunting parties often require additional luggage and should be organised in advance. Please contact Bluff Visitor Terminal to arrange. Additional luggage/freight will be charged at $35 per bin or part thereof. We encourage all groups reconfirm their bookings with Bluff Visitor Terminal prior to day of departure.
All fuel etc needs to be booked in advance. Please call to avoid disappointment.
However, on the positive side:-
Pete Ross Automotive at 14 Ayr Street, Halfmoon Bay
(beside the Community Centre) has the following supplies:
Petrol, Diesel, LPG Gas Bottle refills (and gas bottles to hire on short term rental), Coal, Wood (large fadges or small bags), Kindling, Fuelite (White Spirits), Fuel Containers, 2-stroke Oils (General, Marine and Motorcycle), CRC and WD40,Car and Boat batteries,9v Batteries and small batteries for watches etc. Available for hire : Gas rings, Tents.